Solid Edge University this year was conducted in Indianapolis. Siemens employees, developers, channel partners, and the press attended the 3 day gala event.
- International Plastics News for Asia - April 2018-4
- Two major exhibitions – NPE 2018 and CHINAPLAS 2018 – are covered in this issue. The back-to-back Special Supplements on these trade shows are aimed at promoting the products on exhibit and giving visitors a glimpse on the highlights as well as relevant industry trends. Aside from the print version, these key exhibitions are also online and can be found at www.industrysourcing.com/plastics where important developments and coverage are posted before, during and after the shows. Powerful machines are the vital to the move towards smart manufacturing. This issue looks into recently launched injection moulding machines that promise high efficiency and many other possibilities. When it comes to raw materials, the developments in the use of antimicrobials have taken a big leap in terms of ensuring safety and compliance to stringent standards. Many new compounds are being launched, which will definitely offer greater benefits to the medical sector.
- International Metalworking News for Asia 2018-04
- Leading things off in the features section of International Metalworking News for Asia April issue is an article on Y-axis parting in multi-task machines and turning centres. One of the manufacturing megatrends of the recent decades is to and minimise the number of machining set-ups required to produce a specific component. A unique aspect of the single set-up trend is adding ‘live tooling’, in other word rotating tools, to turning centres. Find out more in this issue’s Metal Cutting. Kennametal solves the age-long problem of tool stability when drilling in deep cavities, alongside tall shoulders, and past bulky fixtures. The company’s hydraulic chuck extensions provide integral through-the-tool coolant channels, promoting tool life and increasing penetration rates in all drilling and reaming applications. There are a few independent features in April, including designing an efficient process for checking dimensional accuracy of turbine and aero-engine blades. The MODUS metrology software allows off-line development of advanced programs directly from CAD, with s
- FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal 2018-03
- HOW do you define innovation and how do you keep it alive in your company? In our special report, Dr Miflora Gatchalian, CEO of Quality Partners, Inc., does a run-through of innovation management, from definition to product development. She says, “There are various approaches to innovation which are useful in the food industry and depending on the company’s strategic plans, a proper choice can be made. Current findings indicate that the ‘radical’ type of innovation gives the highest returns on investment.” Note that innovation does not rest on one department alone. An aha moment can lead to a major innovation, one that can change what we eat or the way we eat it. Take Mathias P. Clausen’s curiosity of turning jellyfish into something munchy like potato chips. If you’re not familiar with Clausen’s work yet, read the article on page 33. This postdoctoral fellow at University of Southern Denmark in Odense, is on to something. Also in this March issue, we bring you trends and developments in liquid products – liquid foods and liquid smoke flavourings. Ou
- FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal 2018-02
- In the February issue of FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal, we bring you exclusive interviews with food ingredients manufacturers in our attempt to gather their outlook for the year and the R&D route they are taking to be able to provide you with ingredients for texture, colour, taste, shelf life, and health benefits. Year after year, more natural ingredients for everyday products like breads, chocolate, sauces, yogurts, and preserved meat, are meeting new requirements in terms of overall quality and of course, reduced cost. We talked to companies that invest heavily in R&D like Arjuna, Chr. Hansen, Epi Ingredients, Ingredion, and Tate & Lyle, all of whom expressed optimism in the diverse South East Asian market where products now call for better sugar substitutes, fibre enrichment, natural preservatives, and low-fat alternatives. Probiotics have become one of the sought-after health add-ons in food and beverage as well. So, we reached out to Ganeden which is currently marketing their probiotic products in SE Asia., New Editorial Board member We are pleased to int
- International Metalworking News for Asia 2018-02
- Every year the business world is overloaded with buzz words, and the metalworking supply chain sector is no different. In 2017, there was a lot of talk about innovation, digitalisation, and automation. Technology is at the centre of many of these changes, as organisations consider how big data, artificial intelligence, robotics, machine learning, and more can transform their businesses. The manufacturing supply chain is a reasonable place to start leveraging new technology for good business value. Five industry experts weighed in on which trends we’ll be looking for in the 2018 manufacturing supply chain in Asia. Find out more in this month's Outlook section. If you’re looking for a cutting machine that can widen your boundaries, a laser cutting machine has a universe of possibilities. Buying your first laser cutting machine can be a daunting challenge, especially if you’re budget-minded. TRUMPF is introducing a new laser cutting machine, the TruLaser 2030 fiber. Equipped with up to four kilowatts of laser power, which is remarkably productive. Machine shops
- International Plastics News for Asia 2018-2
- PLASTINDIA is geared as a world-class event with its transfer to a state-of-the-art exhibition venue. For the first time, we carry a Special Supplement on this fast-growing trade event where we present the show’s highlights, the products on exhibit and exhibitors’ contact details. A mini-section on PLASTINDIA is also up on www.industrysourcing.com/plastics so you can get the latest news and coverage exhibition before, during and after the event. High-pressure resin transfer molding has become a suitable option in the production of lightweight components and complex parts. New developments will see this process getting more sophisticated and more responsive to market requirements. Many innovative materials and processing technologies are being developed in the automotive industry and these are worth being recognized in the light of the leading trends in transportation. This issue presents the winners of the recent award-giving body and their valuable contributions to the automotive sector.
- FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal 2017-12
- THIS is the first December issue of FoodPacific Manufacturing Journal and comes out only online. We hope you find inspiration in the story of Mr La Ty, whose love for gelato stirred him into building his own brand, La Pops, in Cambodia. While in the section on health and nutrition, we put together updates on products and scientific research, including updates on antioxidants. Also in this issue, we share three case studies – Bosch Packaging Technology on the biscuit industry in Germany; Renishaw on its vacuum casting technology; and Veolia on its waste water treatment technologies installed in the Ovaltine facility in Thailand. The Asia Food and Beverage Summit Last month, Ringier was in Indonesia for the 3rd Asia Food and Beverage Summit (October 31-November 1) at the JS Luwansa Hotel in Jakarta. As support to Ringier Events, a small team of hard-working colleagues, I am pulled in from day one to help see the project through well until the post-show reports are out. There’s a very long to-do list, and on the day of the event itself one can only hope that the
- International Metalworking News for Asia 2017-12
- It is clear; the market for connected equipment and devices will continue to grow. But, as product designers and engineers face the challenges of building smart products, they are realising they need faster, better, smarter tools with which to create them. Part of that solution is to use tools capable of bringing all the disparate processes onto a single, unified platform. Global high-tech companies are melding Industry 4.0, automation and big data to create metalworking equipment, tools and solutions that will build empires in the industrial manufacturing. They are developing healthy ecosystems that can carry their strategies and values far. Whatever the situation, Industry 4.0 is here, and manufacturers all over the world are doing their best to prepare. At this issue’s 2018 Outlook Report, industry leaders and senior executives share their views and initiatives on Industry 4.0, and the current and future of metalworking industry, as part of their overall efforts toward automation and big data in manufacturing. The adoption of Industry 4.0 is indeed a major d
For the elderly, food must not only meet their nutritional needs, but the packaging has to be easy to open, reminds Jo Smewing*
Evonik Industries is driving forward its commitment to the attractive 3D printing market: The specialty chemicals company will participate in HP Inc.’s Open Platform program and introduce new customized powder materials to the market for HP Multi Jet Fusion technology.
LPKF is presenting a brand new technology on booth E04 in Hall 11 at K show 2016. "Wobbling" enables the LPKF PowerWeld3D 8000 to join large components of up to 100 cm x 70 cm with welds of between one and five millimeter width. It can also handle height differences.